Any pet can get sick, hamsters are no exception. In order for the animal to feel better, the disease did not progress, it is important to know the treatment methods and the main signs of illnesses in animals. Hamster diseases, the symptoms and treatment of which will be obvious to the veterinarian, are not always visible to the household with the naked eye. Often, the owners are not even aware of the animal’s health problems, which leads to disastrous consequences. There is a list of problems that can happen to these creatures.
Pets can be exposed to the following diseases:
- Abscesses. Appear on the pads of the paws. Treatment should be started immediately after a wound is detected so that the disease does not progress.
- Tooth problems. Like other rodents, hamsters' front teeth grow non-stop. Sometimes the process is accelerated, the pet becomes painful or uncomfortable. Sometimes the animal does not have time to grind them, especially in cases of malnutrition. Increased salivation is the first sign.
- Obesity. Under natural conditions, hamsters move constantly. If there is a problem with being overweight, movement is not enough. Obesity is relevant for Syrian hamsters, they are especially mobile. To help in the treatment is simple: to establish attractions, tunnels so that the animal can run freely.
- Baldness. The skin with the disease is smooth, the hair becomes scarce. The disease appears due to a deficiency of vitamins, with severe stress.
- Inflammatory process in cheek bags. Occurs after injuring the inside of the cheek. Food accumulates behind the cheeks, which leads to inflammation. Inspection should be carried out by a veterinarian - the cheek pouch should be correctly turned out.
- Wet tail. The disease is not related to the tail of the hamster. The main symptom is severe diarrhea. It can arise due to many factors: a change in diet, trauma, stress, etc. If you suspect you should immediately contact your veterinarian, since the development of the disease is rectal bleeding and death.
- Herpes. Treatment is not necessary, the disease goes away 6-11 days after infection, does not have vivid manifestations.
- E. coli. The main symptoms of the disease are bloody diarrhea and high fever. After infection, the intestinal microflora changes, the disease most often involves a fatal outcome.
- Aujeszky's disease. The first symptoms appear after about 2 weeks. Manifestations: itching, restlessness, constant movement. When a hamster develops, his voice disappears, and paralysis develops. Treatment is possible at an early stage, if you are late for a couple of days, the pet dies.
- Enteritis. A disease of the digestive system that develops due to malnutrition. You need to treat by feeding good hay and normal food into the cell for a couple of weeks. Symptoms: diarrhea, bloating. Enteritis is a dangerous infection for humans, as it can be transmitted to humans.
- Heart disease. They rarely appear. The reason can be severe stress and constant high temperature in the cell. Symptoms: weakness, frequent breathing.
- Poisoning. Appears if the hamster touched unsuitable food, ate, drank something that does not fit him in the diet. The main symptoms: loss of appetite, weakness, loss of coordination.
- Eye diseases. The eyelids can stick together, there is a profuse purulent discharge. The reasons are various, most often, it is a cold, infection. It can be transmitted from humans or vice versa.
- The common cold is a disease transmitted to humans. The hamster sniffles, sneezes, becomes inactive and weak. Conjunctivitis may develop. When recovering, it is advisable to improve the pet's diet, add juicy fruits and vitamin complexes.
- Constipation. Symptoms: feces became less discharge in the form of hard balls.
In a hamster state, it is difficult to notice symptoms until they become apparent. In the early stages of the disease, it is most often possible to cure, but with development it becomes more difficult. To detect small signs, it is worth examining the pet daily, looking closely at any behavioral changes. Hamster diseases, the symptoms and treatment of which are much similar, can be determined by the following symptoms:
- activity: if the animal became lethargic, the presence of an ailment is possible,
- appetite: a healthy hamster loves to eat. If he refuses to eat even for a day, the problem is serious and urgent measures need to be taken,
- weight: Syrian weighs about 90 g., and the Dzungarian hamster does not weigh in a healthy condition more than 30 g.,
- muzzle: in a healthy state, the eyes should shine, mucus should be absent, the nose is always cool, there is no discharge, ears are not flaky, fangs are even, they do not prevent the hamster from closing his mouth,
- tumors: nowhere on the body should there be even minimal processes,
- ass: hamsters are clean animals. This part of the body in healthy individuals is always clean, dry,
- excretion: feces should not have a pungent odor (like urine), the consistency is solid. The color of the waste is mainly gray.
Without going to the vet, a hamster rarely cures a serious illness. Recovery from many diseases (tumors, heart ailments) involves the appointment of antibiotics depending on the weight and age of the pet. A professional should make an injection so that everything goes right, without unnecessary discomfort for the animal.
General principles for self-treatment:
- to plant the hamster separately from other pets so that the infection does not spread,
- create silence around, light darkness, provide peace so that strength is restored,
- observe the condition. If it worsens, consult a doctor,
- to replace the litter, to disinfect the house and used accessories. Serve only fresh, juicy, vitamin-rich foods,
- Wash hands thoroughly before and after contact.
Treatment for certain diseases:
- In case of constipation, pour a drop of vegetable oil into the food. Add more water, fruits to the diet.
- Dehydration is treated by adding high water foods.
- Diarrhea can be cured by changing the diet to a thicker one.
- The common cold is treated by adding honey and milk to the water. The supplied fluid must be constantly warm.
- Gastrointestinal diseases can go away on their own. If symptoms persist for more than 2 days, contact your veterinarian.
- Worms are usually found in feces. It is possible to cure without a veterinarian using special suspensions (“Shustrik”) that eliminate the problem.
- Conjunctivitis is cured by washing with saline eye. Drip 4 times a day with eye drops with the addition of Phloxal in equal doses.
- Skin diseases can be cured by a balanced diet.
If injured, you should use an antiseptic - chlorhexidine.
To ensure that the hamster is always healthy, preventive measures should be taken. Nutrition should be complete, enough vitamins. Change the hay in the cage as often as possible so that it does not fall out. Drinking water should be clean, fresh. Once a week, ascorbic acid is added to the liquid to prevent a number of diseases. Milk is sometimes included in the diet; it is rich in vitamins.
It is important to protect the pet from contact with wild rodents so that the infection is not transmitted. There should not be a draft in the cell (from it ear diseases, colds and conjunctivitis develop), lack of light. The cell and contents must be disinfected once every couple of weeks.
If you suspect a disease, the first thing sick hamsters should isolate. The veterinarian will diagnose more correctly, the disease may not manifest for a long time, the hamster will experience only a slight malaise. The sooner a trip to a professional takes place, the greater the chance of recovery.
Classification of diseases
By type of hamster disease, as in humans, are divided into infectious and non-infectious. The following diseases are contagious.
- Bacterial infections. They cause gastrointestinal, skin and other inflammatory processes.
- Viral infections. It affects the eyes, mucous membranes, cause tumors.
- Fungal. Mostly cause skin diseases.
- Infection with parasites (fleas, ticks, worms).
Some of these diseases can infect people. It is necessary to be extremely careful in contact with a sick animal and deliver it to a veterinarian as soon as possible. Only the doctor, having done the tests, will make the final diagnosis and give a prognosis for the possibility of recovery. Unfortunately, many diseases are fatal for a hamster. But in any case, a loving owner will do everything in his power to make the hamster recover.
Noncommunicable diseases include noncommunicable diseases.
- Injuries and injuries caused by a fall from a height or a fight with other inhabitants of the cell.
- Metabolic disease. For example, diabetes, the more often Jungar hamsters get sick.
- Diseases caused by stressful situations. These include heart disease, heart attacks, strokes.
Syrian hamster diseases are more commonly associated with gastrointestinal infections.
When to sound the alarm
How to understand that a hamster is sick. If the animal is healthy, it is active, it has a smooth shiny coat, clear, clean eyes and good appetite. But if you notice that the pet is behaving unusually, urgently take action. Your hamster is ill if some of the following symptoms are noticeable:
- eating poorly or completely refusing food,
- watery or festering eyes
- frequent loose stools
- constipation, stool dry or completely absent
- dripping blood from the anus
- labored or hoarse breathing, coughing,
- discharge from the nose or excessive salivation,
- Wet or dull, lumpy hair
- ulcers, wounds, peeling of the skin, bald spots on the skin,
- swelling, bloating,
- lethargy, low mobility,
- the hamster is trembling, although the room is warm.
Underweight can also be a sign of illness. To find out if your pet is sick, periodically weigh the pet. The weight of an adult Syrian is about 90 g, the weight of dzhungars is at least 30 g.
Infectious diseases in hamsters
A bacterial or viral infection can infect an animal in several ways.
- From other sick animals in direct contact or through the products of its vital activity.
- Through infected feed or water.
- Insect bites.
- Through litter and uncleaned excrement.
Respiratory infections are activated by hypothermia, stress and a lack of vitamins in the body. You can understand that the hamster is sick by its behavior. He will become lethargic and lethargic. You may notice discharge from the nose. A young, strong hamster will recover in a few days. In weak individuals with reduced immunity, the disease can develop into pneumonia. The animal will cough and breathe heavily. In a few days he will die.
Tuberculosis develops in a weakened body when a tubercle bacillus enters. There are two forms of this disease, depending on the method of infection: pulmonary and intestinal. With pulmonary tuberculosis, the hamster has cough, shortness of breath, decreased appetite. The intestinal form is characterized by severe diarrhea. This disease of hamsters, unfortunately, is incurable.
For the prevention of tuberculosis, the animal must receive good nutrition with the necessary amount of vitamins, the cage must be kept clean at all times, the room is periodically ventilated. It is necessary to exclude contact with sick animals and people. Not only can a person become infected with a hamster from some ailments, but rodents can also suffer from contact with a sick person.
Colibacillosis - an infectious disease of the gastrointestinal tract caused by Escherichia coli. It is characterized by very severe diarrhea. The stool is so liquid that it looks more like urine, which is why the disease is also called the “wet tail”. The hamster becomes lethargic, eats poorly, quickly loses weight. If you notice such signs, the rodent should be urgently taken to the veterinarian. The doctor will examine the symptoms and prescribe treatment. Usually, tetracycline antibiotics are prescribed, they are added to food or drinking water. In severe cases, chloramphenicol injections are prescribed.
Colibacillosis is a highly contagious disease. If the sick animal was in contact with other pets, they will also have to be treated. The sooner you see a doctor, the more successful the treatment will be. Prevention of the disease - maintaining cleanliness in the cell. As well as the content of each animal in a separate cage.
Cystitis. A wet tail can be an indicator not only of colibacillosis, but also of cystitis - inflammation of the genitourinary tract. The animal experiences pain during urination, constantly thirsty. The disease occurs from hypothermia. Maintain the optimum temperature in the room where the baby lives, do not put the cage with the hamster in the draft. Cystitis is also treated with antibiotics.
Diplococcosis - an infectious disease of the respiratory tract caused by a diplococcal bacterium. Symptoms - weakness, lethargy, refusal of food. The hamster is shaking and trembling, it flows from his nose. Death occurs in 2 to 3 days, if you do not enter a special antibacterial serum on time.
Salmonellosis - An acute intestinal disease caused by Escherichia coli Salmonella. It also leads to death if treatment is not started on time.
Pneumonia - A frequent complication after respiratory infections if the patient does not receive proper treatment and good nutrition. Or if the animal has a lack of vitamins in the body and immunity is lowered. The disease can occur after severe hypothermia.
Conjunctivitis - The inflammatory process in the eyes and eyelids. Dungar eye diseases arise from hypothermia or are bacterial in nature.
Intestinal parasites. It is possible to determine that a pet is infected with worms by feces and by the fact that with a good appetite the animal loses weight. The condition of the coat is not the same as in a healthy animal, it is faded or vice versa greasy. In this case, you can buy a complex drug against worms in a veterinary pharmacy (for example, “Shustrik”).
Demodecosis - a disease caused by a microscopic subcutaneous tick. The animal itches, the hair falls out. The disease is treated with an injection of invermectin.
Ringworm - fungal disease. Scaly spots appear on the body and limbs of the rodent, the hair falls out. Infectious disease, transmitted to humans. The doctor will make a scraping and prescribe treatment with ointments and special creams.
Infectious diseases of the Dzungarian and other breeds of hamsters are primarily injuries. They are injured mainly through the fault of the owners. Rodents should not be allowed to walk on a table or other surface from where the homa may fall. When buying and installing a running wheel, it is necessary to exclude narrow (less than 0.5 cm) gaps so that the baby does not put its foot in and crippled. If you have several dzhungariki, disperse them in different cells. Otherwise, they will fight and can also mutilate each other.
Improper nutrition can cause
- dental diseases
- inflammation of the cheek pouches,
- food poisoning
- hemorrhoids (if blood drips from the anus, maybe your pet has a crack there).
Non-communicable diseases are also complications of pregnancy and pathological birth in females. Sometimes the blood under the tail of the female appears as a result of a miscarriage.
Metabolism is the proper functioning of all body systems.Food processing, energy production, removal of unnecessary and harmful products. The central nervous system is responsible for all this, but hormones secreting hormones have a huge effect on metabolic processes. These include the thyroid and pancreas, adrenal glands, pituitary gland, and sex glands. Improper nutrition, poor ecology, hereditary factors affect the functioning of these organs. Violation of their normal operation leads to a malfunction of the body as a whole. Diseases of Dzungarian hamsters are often associated with metabolic disorders.
Diabetes may develop due to excessive consumption of carbohydrates. The hereditary predisposition to the disease is also important. You can find out that the hamster got this disease by the characteristic smell of acetone, which comes from the rodent's saliva and urine. But only the doctor will make the final diagnosis by making a blood test. Prevention of the disease of hamsters of the dzhungariks is a balanced diet, the exclusion of sugar from the diet, good care and an active lifestyle.
Stroke - also can be attributed to diseases arising from metabolic disorders. With age and as a result of improper nutrition, cholesterol plaques are deposited on the walls of blood vessels, which interfere with the normal passage of blood. At some point, the plaques completely clog the vessel, it bursts, and hemorrhage occurs.
If the hamster shakes, he has cramps, most likely the end is near.
Sometimes careful owners are worried that the rodent on the stomach has a yellow sore. In fact, this is an odor gland, with the help of which the male marks its territory.
Stress factors for a small rodent can be loud screams, the work of various electrical appliances, other pets and much more. Diseases that develop as a result of stress in Syrian and other breeds of hamsters:
- eczema (ulcers and peeling of the skin, hair loss),
- heart attack, cardiac arrest,
- complete or partial paralysis (may occur if the animal is very scared).
To avoid such troubles, never yell at the baby, do not punish him for any pranks. Do not place the cage near the TV or speakers. Isolate the rodent from cats and dogs if they live in your house. If you just got a little fluffy, let him get used to a new place of residence for several days, do not immediately start playing with him or educate him.
Any disease is easier to prevent than to cure. Do not neglect preventive measures, and you will not have to suffer with a sick animal. It is much more difficult to cure a hamster than to follow simple rules for keeping rodents at home.
- Feed the rodent only with fresh food or quality feed. The water in the drinker should always be clean and fresh.
- The cage should have mineral stone or sticks to grind teeth.
- Clean regularly in the cage, destroy stocks that may deteriorate.
- Temperature and humidity should be comfortable for the baby. Avoid drafts, do not place the cage close to the radiator or in direct sunlight.
- Provide a good night's sleep to your pet.
- Isolate from other pets (cats, dogs) that can scare the pussies.
- Buy your baby a sufficient number of toys and simulators (running wheel, walking ball) so that the baby can move.
If you got a hamster, pay attention to it, monitor its behavior, play and educate. The kid will live a long and happy life in your house, and will delight you with a cheerful disposition and healthy appearance.
We have already written about parasitic diseases found in hamsters (lice, fleas, lice-eaters, ticks) here.
Of non-communicable diseases, hamsters are often found metabolic disease and vitamin deficiencies. They arise as a result of the absence or chronic lack of vitamins and minerals in the feed and are usually manifested by a violation of the hairline: bare skin is observed on the skin, but it is clean, unlike skin affected by an infectious disease - microsporia (ringworm).
Pathogen ringworm - pathogenic microscopic fungus. The first signs of the disease are the appearance of round gray spots covered with uneven scales on the scalp, neck or legs of the rodent. Infection occurs when a hamster comes in contact with a sick animal. Treatment should be prescribed by a specialist. The rodent owner needs to know that the disease is contagious, therefore, when communicating with a pet, you should be careful and not forget about the rules of personal hygiene.
Incorrect feeding, lack of green food in the diet often leads to gastritis and enteritis. Enteritis in hamsters occurs due to the rapid reproduction of Escherichia coli, also known as the "wet tail". The disease is a serious, high risk of death. In clinical manifestations, the "wet tail" is similar to ordinary diarrhea. An accurate diagnosis is difficult to establish.
- watery diarrhea
- lack of appetite,
- sometimes rectal bleeding.
You can try to give the animal tetracycline (per 100 ml of water, 0.5 g of the drug). Treatment is carried out under the supervision of a veterinarian.
Diarrhea may occur due to overeating, a sharp introduction to the diet of new food or even as a reaction to stress. With diarrhea, the animals are given decoctions of oak bark or a weak solution of potassium permanganate, vitamins are included in the diet.
If the hamster is tormented constipationhe is offered boiled beets, carrots or carrot juice. You can relieve a pet from constipation if you give him 1 gram of castor oil.
Cystitis - inflammation of the mucous membrane of the bladder - the disease is not fatal, but very unpleasant. Often arises from hypothermia. Small pets are extremely sensitive to drafts, so if you ventilate the room or turn on the fan, the cage with the rodent needs to be removed.
- frequent urination with an admixture of blood.
The final diagnosis can be made by the results of a urinalysis. The hamster should definitely be shown to a specialist who will prescribe antibiotics and, if necessary, anti-inflammatory drugs and antimicrobials. If you help in time, then a small pet will recover soon.
Abscesses. Hamster disease
Hamster abscesses - This is a kind of abrasion that appears in hamsters mainly on the pads.
- reasons - the exact reason for the appearance of abscesses was not found, but veterinarians tend to mechanical injuries,
- symptoms - the presence of abrasions on the feet of the pet, which are found during a visual examination of the hamster,
- treatment - most often, in order to eliminate the abscesses in hamsters, doctors prescribe the use of ointments with zinc or fish oil, or drugs based on these components. The treatment of this, at first glance, slightly disease can take several months, since the pads are very sensitive and constantly exposed to stress.
Anomalies of the teeth. Hamster disease
Anomalies of teeth in hamsters - All representatives of rodents have such a feature as the constant growth of their front teeth. Because of this, the bite may be disturbed in the animal and the teeth simply do not close. Digestive disorders, etc., already follow from this.
- reasons - the cause of such abnormalities may be genetic features that suggest accelerated tooth growth, as well as a diet that contains very little solid feed. The animal just doesn’t have time to grind its teeth,
- Hamster diseases often spread to the teeth, the most common symptoms of dental pathologies are increased salivation. The pet can refuse food, stop eating food,
- treatment - to cure this type of pathology, do not self-medicate, but seek the help of a veterinarian. Often, a procedure such as dental treatment with a drill is performed. If as a result of the disease “hooks” appeared on the teeth, they should also be removed.
Inflammation of the cheek pouches. Hamster disease
- causes - inflammation of the sacs occurs if there is any damage to them from the inside. Also, if food is constantly stored there, an inflammatory process can occur due to the interaction of tissues and fiber products,
- symptoms - as a rule, symptoms of inflammation of the cheek pouches may be absent altogether. But there may also be a decrease in appetite due to pain,
- treatment - it is possible to fix the inflammation only by contacting the veterinary center, since to examine the cheeks from the inside, you need to correctly turn them off. In the absence of the necessary skills, you can cause discomfort to the pet. Inflammation is treated by removing food residue and treatment with bactericidal agents.
Hamster Alopecia some owners may be confused with lichen, as they are very similar during visual inspection. The only difference, which can bring clarity to the picture, is the presence of scales during the deprivation of hair loss, while baldness, the skin remains smooth. Do not engage in diagnostics yourself, in any case, you must consult a veterinarian.
- reasons - the following factors include the causes of baldness of hamsters: a decrease in the intake of vitamins and minerals in the body, frequent and severe stresses in the pet,
- symptoms - symptoms appear in the loss of hair, you can also notice pet apathy and lethargy,
- treatment - with a lack of vitamins, they should be included in the hamster's diet. In the presence of stresses, it is necessary to exclude their occurrence.
Herpes in hamsters
Herpes in hamsters - This is an inflammation of the skin near the mucous tissues of the animal.
- the reasons - a hamster can get herpes by contact with other hamsters,
- symptoms - the disease proceeds without any visible symptoms. You can fix it more often, only at scheduled examinations of the veterinarian,
- treatment - this disease does not require special treatment and goes away on its own in one to two weeks, but in any case, it is necessary to consult a specialist to know exactly what ailment your pet has.
Trichomoniasis Hamster Disease.
Trichomoniasis in hamsters - A disease caused by the activity of a parasite from the Trichomonas gallinae family.
- Reasons - a parasite can get into the body of your hamster by drinking dirty water or poor food. Due to weak immunity, young people are especially more prone to trichomoniasis than adults,
- symptoms - appear in a yellowish throat. Subsequently, it increases in size, as if swelling and blocking access to oxygen,
- treatment - carried out by the use of drugs, which should be prescribed only by a veterinarian. If you do not help the hamster in time, a fatal outcome is possible.
Conjunctivitis in hamsters
Conjunctivitis also applies to hamster disease - this is a pathology associated with a malfunction of the eye mucosa.
- causes - bacterial infections or colds that cause complications,
- symptoms - there may be copious discharge of mucus from the eyes,
- treatment - doctors recommend flushing the mucous membrane of the eye with salt water or use special drops.
Hamster obesity - An increase in the amount of subcutaneous fat in a hamster is fraught with poor effects on other organs, such as the heart. By its nature, the hamster is an animal that is mobile and needs a constant load.
- reasons - a decrease in physical activity, often occurs due to the fault of the owner when the conditions of detention do not meet the requirements
- symptoms - a visual increase in the fatty layer of the hamster. Decreased overall activity
- treatment - increased loads, installing various treadmills and attractions in the cell. Tracking caloric intake.
Colibacillosis. Hamster disease
Hamster colibacillosis - This is a disease of the gastrointestinal tract, which manifests itself in its disorder. Also, this ailment is called “wet tail“. Has a bacterial nature of appearance. This intestinal pathology may mislead the hosts, since in the early stages it is similar to other diseases that do not have a bacterial nature.
- causes - the presence of unfavorable bacteria in the body that come with food or water,
- symptoms are the main symptom; this is the presence of diarrhea in a hamster. Subsequently, lack of appetite, diarrhea with water, aggressive conditions, bleeding,
- treatment - it is possible to cure colibacillosis only by following all the instructions and recommendations of a veterinarian. Most often, solutions containing electrolytes are used to improve the hydration process. Together with this, antibiotics are prescribed that stabilize the intestine. It is also necessary to adhere to a certain diet, which involves the exclusion of certain foods from the diet.
Important! Colibacillosis can be transmitted to other individuals. Therefore, if you have other hamsters, they must be isolated from the infected pet.
E. coli also refers to hamster disease
E. coli in hamsters - A disease that causes significant discomfort to the pet, including death. It has an infectious nature. During the course of the disease, an infected hamster changes the intestinal flora due to the activity of the microbe.
- reasons - penetration into the body of an animal microbe,
- symptoms - signs of E. coli are high body temperature in the animal and the presence of blood diarrhea during bowel movements,
- treatment - the disease in most cases ends in death for the pet. It is very important to fix it in the early stages (which is very difficult, since it develops very quickly) in order to leave at least some chance of recovery.
Enteritis in the hamster
Enteritis in hamsters - It affects the organs responsible for the normal digestion of the animal.
- reasons - doctors call the main factor in the development of enteritis, the lack of hay in the diet,
- symptoms - bloating and diarrhea,
- treatment - it looks specific. The feces of a healthy animal are taken, mixed in water and administered as an enema to the patient. Also, to improve digestion, it is recommended to include hay in the diet.
Poisoning - Hamster Disease
- the reasons are the poor quality of food consumed, the presence of household chemicals on food. Dirty or stagnant water
- symptoms - loss of appetite, lethargy. Sometimes diarrhea and vomiting,
- treatment - a veterinarian should prescribe treatment based on the results of examinations. It is important to distinguish between poisoning and viral infection. Untimely seeking help is fraught with death.
Hamster cystitis Is a disease that affects the genitourinary system
- reasons - the causes of cystitis can be both mechanical damage and malnutrition. It is also possible the appearance of an ailment due to the lack of the proper amount of water in the diet,
- symptoms - frequent urination and increased anxiety,
- treatment - carried out by the use of drugs such as buscopan. If the condition does not improve after the course of taking the drugs, it is necessary to re-diagnose using radiography.
Hamster Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis
Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis in hamsters - this very serious illnessthat is infectious in nature. It affects all organs.
- reasons - the animal can become infected by contact with an ill individual. The main carriers of this disease are mice,
- symptoms - appear almost immediately and are expressed in general weakness, shortness of breath, body temperature rises,
- treatment is a disease, unfortunately incurable. If your pet is a victim of lymphocytic choriomeningitis, you should take measures to euthanize the hamster. This is the only way to save him from suffering.
Important! All hygiene rules must be observed; this disease can be transmitted to humans.
Aujeszky's disease - what is important to know about this hamster disease
Aujeszky's disease - This ailment is often called “false rabies,” since they have similar symptoms.
- reasons - the causative agent of this disease is a virus that affects the entire nervous system of the hamster,
- symptoms - signs of the disease do not appear immediately, but only after two to three weeks after infection. The disease manifests itself in the increased excitability of the animal and the presence of itching,
- treatment - it is possible to cure Aujeszky’s disease only in the early stages, if the ailment is launched, the virus encompasses the hamster’s vocal cords, provokes the development of paralysis of the larynx, as a result of which the animal dies.
Hamster Tumor - a disease caused by the appearance in the body of a neoplasm in the form of a malignant tumor.
- the reasons are genetic predisposition. Some foods can have a positive effect on the development of cancer in hamsters. Older individuals also have a tendency
- symptoms - signs depend on the location of the tumor, they can be different organs, and symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, impaired movement, interruptions in the body in general, etc.,
- treatment - involves the removal of a malignant neoplasm, but only if necessary.
Hamster Heart Disease
Hamster has heart disease - characterized by interruptions in the work of this body. Hamsters are quite rare.
- causes - the presence of severe stress or high air temperature, which affects the regulation of the heart muscle,
- symptoms - shortness of breath, high heart rate, apathy and decreased activity,
- treatment - at the first stages of treatment it is recommended to change the conditions of the hamster. If this does not help, and the condition only worsens, an injection of efffortil should be administered. Again, all treatment is prescribed strictly individually. Self-medication should be ruled out.
The common cold also refers to hamster disease
- reasons - it may be hypothermia or the action of the virus,
- symptoms - general weakness, sneezing, discharge from the nose, discharge from the eyes,
- treatment - it is recommended to give pets fruits that are saturated with liquid to prevent dehydration. If you run colds, they can develop into more serious ones.